What is Right to Information?
A right of any citizen of Sri Lanka to access any recorded information from any public authority
What are public authorities?
Any government body or and private institution that is providing a public service
- Municipal Councils
- Government-funded education institutions such as universities or schools
- Ministries and departments
- Private Companies who have won government tenders
- State-owned corporations
What information can I get?
- You can request anything (it does not have to have personal relevance)
- Except for certain instances listed under Part II of the Act, such as information that could compromise national defense and concerns private medical records
How do I submit a request for information
- Fill out the RTI request form from the relevant public authority OR compose a letter of your own (see an example below)
- Pay the necessary fee
- Submit to the Information Officer at the relevant public authority
- You will receive a reply within 14 days
When can I start submitting requests?
From February 4th 2017
For news visit www.rtiwire.com
For frequently asked questions www.rtiwatch.lk/faq/